Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Fulton Gas Works



Sometimes I think that buildings and places speak to me because they know I listen.

The Fulton Gas Works has stood empty and gutted for as long as I have been here. (16 years!?) My friend EriK Robson and I would drive by it on our tours of places that make Richmond a city and not just a town. The metal blown out gas storage tank and the cool Art deco building that stands on risers has always seemed sacred in some way. I also knew that it was doomed. There was no possible way a building and structure like this could possibly survive a development onslaught. It isn't historical, there are no famous people related to it, it was just part of the infrastrucure that is no longer needed.
Then, came the ball park.
I finished this painting in January of 2005. I worked on it through the summer. I am not crying "Save the Gasworks!" I know it needs to go sometime. I am just saying, this is a great blues song I think should be heard. I think that is why it spoke to me. It has a song, sad, beautiful, and kinda funky.

Acrylic on Canvas
40" x 50"

$2500
This painting can be seen in real life at
Main Street Centre
600 E. Main St.
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Seo Link Master said...

Your very nice.... I like your blog

increase miles per gallon, fuel saver, increase gas mileage

Search engine optimizaiton

Website design, web design

web design nyc

HEK said...

Saved again, though. No ball park. Not anything so far, due to the environmental reclamation needed to make the site--and perhaps the buildings--useful after they were used for "coal gassifcation" for most of the 20th century. It closed Nov. 27, 1950.

dpanupam said...

Thats a very interesting post. I have been inspired. Thanks. Web Designer

manudas98 said...

Your blog is very nice... i like your blog. Free Web Directory